Short Answer Study Guide Questions
1. Identify Pip, Mrs. Joe and Joe.
2. Who does Pip meet in the graveyard?
3. What is Pip ordered to fetch under threat of losing his heart and liver?
4. Explain how Pip and Joe were "brought up by hand."
5. What did Pip do which caused him to have a guilty conscience?
Chapters 3 - 7
1. Why does Joe give Pip more gravy during dinner?
2. Joe says, "We don't know what you have done, but we wouldn't have you starved to
death for it, poor miserable fellow-creature." What do we learn about Joe's character
from this quote?
3. Identify Mr. Wopsle and Mr. Pumblechook.
4. What happened when Pip met the convict in the marshes the second time?
5. At the end of chapter 4, why did Pip "run for his life," and why didn't he get very far?
6. About what were the two convicts arguing when they were captured?
7. What news did Mrs. Joe bring at the end of Chapter 7?
Chapters 8 – 12
1. Identify Miss Havisham, Estella, and Biddy.
2. How does Pip describe Miss Havisham's house?
3. Why doesn't Pip tell the truth about Miss Havisham?
4. How does Pip feel about himself after his first meeting at Miss Havisham's?
5. What does Pip want from Biddy?
6. How is Pip reminded of "his convict" in the Jolly Bargemen?
7. "Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold,
of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation of the
first link on one memorable day." Explain the significance of this quote.
8. Why do Camilla, Raymond and Sarah Pocket visit Miss Havisham?
Chapters 13 – 19
1. Why did Joe go to see Miss Havisham?
2. Why does Mrs. Joe get the twenty-five pounds?
3. For what purpose does Pip wish to return to Miss Havisham's after he is dismissed?
4. Why does Biddy come to live with the Gargerys?
5. Explain "Brag is a good dog, but Holdfast is a better."
6. What is Pip's great expectation?
7. Who will be Pip's tutor?
8. What did Pip want Biddy to do for Joe?
Chapters 20 - 25
1. Identify Herbert Pocket.
2. Who are Jaggers and Wemmick?
3. Why does Pip describe the seven little Pockets as "tumbling up" instead of "growing
4. Who are Startop and Drummle?
5. What did Herbert tell Pip about Estella?
Chapters 26 - 28
1. Contrast the dinner party at Jaggers' house with the one at Wemmick's.
2. Explain why Pip said, "If I could have kept him away by paying money, I certainly
would have paid money."
3. Why does Joe call Pip "Sir"?
4. Joe says, "I'm all wrong in these clothes." Explain why.
5. With whom did Pip share his coach?
6. Who claimed to be the founder of Pip's fortunes?
Chapters 29 – 34
1. Who was Miss Havisham's new porter? How did Pip feel about that?
2. Why did Estella and Herbert warn Pip not to love her (Estella)?
3. Who is Mr. Waldengarver?
4. ". . . I thought of the beautiful young Estella . . . with absolute abhorrence of the
contrast between the jail and her." Come back to this question later, after
completing the novel, and explain why this statement is ironic.
Chapters 35 – 39
1. How do Pip and Herbert attack the problem of their debts?
2. What news did the letter from Trabb & Co. bring?
3. Why does Pip say Biddy has hurt him?
4. What did Pip receive on his birthday?
5. What did Pip do for Herbert?
6. Describe the two sides of Wemmick's character.
7. Estella says, "I am what you have made me." Explain.
8. Who is Pip's benefactor?
Chapters 40 – 43
1. What will happen to Magwitch if he is caught in England?
2. Who is Compeyson?
3. Who is Provis?
4. Why does Herbert advise Pip to get Provis out of England?
5. Of what did Drummle inform Pip?
Chapters 44 – 48
1. Explain how Miss Havisham has used Pip.
2. What two things does Pip ask of Miss Havisham?
3. "Don't be afraid of my being a blessing to him, I shall not be that." (Estella to Pip)
Explain what Estella means.
4. What does Pip find out from Wemmick?
5. What plans do Pip and Herbert make to get Magwitch out of the country?
6. What does Pip discover about Molly?
Chapters 49 - 52
1. Miss Havisham is softer and more kind when Pip visits her again. Why?
2. What tragedy happened at Miss Havisham's house?
3. How does Pip come to realize Magwitch is Estella's father?
4. What message does Pip get from Wemmick?
Chapters 53 - 59
1. Who met Pip at the "little sluice house by the limekiln"?
2. Why did Orlick try to kill Pip?
3. Trabb's boy helped Herbert and Startop find Pip. Explain why that is significant.
4. What happened to Magwitch?
5. Pip says, "I only saw him as a much better man than I had been to Joe." Explain
how this shows Pip's growth as a character.
6. How does Pip treat Magwitch after his capture?
7. What happened to Pip's "great expectations"?
8. Who nurses Pip back to health?
9. Why does Joe begin calling Pip "Sir" as Pip gets better?
10. What surprises Pip when he arrives at Joe's house?
11. How does Pip carry on with his life without great expectations?
12. Is the relationship between Pip and Estella resolved? If so, how? If not, how not?